A BRIEF HISTORY OF OUR CONGREGATION|
(Page 2 of 5)
With all the activity and with continuing rapid growth, yet another church building was required. On February 14, 1926
ground was broken for Tabernacle's third house of worship. The new church building in grand gothic style was dedicated
on February 20, 1927. The cost was approximately $275.000.
drawing of the new building.
Rev. Henry Miller
Rev. Hebert Luffberry
J. Edgar Willing, Architect
E. J. Kreitzberg, Builder
The Rev. William J. Miller remained the pastor for nearly 38 years. He retired in 1946.Tabernacle's next pastor. The Rev. Henry Luffberry,
arrived here in April, 1944. He served as Associate Pastor until Dr.
Miller's retirement and then became the Pastor. The growth and activity continued. The women's organizations were all
combined into one group. The interior of the church was repainted. Pastor Luffberry remained here until 1957.|
The Rev. lan Tarbet was called as Pastor in 1958. He was to direct Tablernacle's ministry through the challenging period
of transition. The neighborhood was changing racially. Many of Tabernacle's members were moving to the suburbs. Under
Pastor Tarbet's leadership, Tabernacle became one of the first Lutheran Churches in Philadelphia to begin ministry to the